Multiple holiday lets sleeping up to 28 guests in total
5 Cottages sleeping 4-8 (26)
Nestling in 20 acres beautiful coastal wooded valley by the stunning south Devon coast near Slapton Sands and Dartmouth, Watermill Cottages with its gardens, lawns and stream is the perfect location to get away from it all with family and friends. Holidays like they used to be - far from the madding crowd!
A cluster of pretty stone cottages in the grounds of an C18th mill, these lovely properties are full of character and charm and provide accommodation for up to 26. Crownwheel Cottage, the largest, sleeps up to 8, the other 4 cottages sleep between 4 and 6.
This tranquil and timeless landscape causes the 21st century retreat to retreat. Explore the hollow ways of Devon’s cool green lanes, stroll through bluebell woods and amble alongside a waterfall studded river. Forget the mobile - there are no mobile or TV signals here. This the place for dam building and dens, for mudslides, pooh sticks and paddling - you can even let the kids join in! There are 20 acres of the small holding to explore and next to no traffic. Dark skies with no light pollution means this is a wonderful spot for stargazing. Above all this is the place to reconnect and relax.
Venture from the valley and discover the beautiful south Devon Coast. The picturesque beach of Slapton Sands is just 3 miles from the cottages. Closer to the historic town of Dartmouth lies Blackpool Sands (5.5 miles), another lovely beach, it’s shingle crescent framed by woods and fields. The beaches of Start Bay offer myriad opportunities for watersports. Head to the attractive estuary towns of Dartmouth (8.5 miles) and Salcombe (13.8 miles) for ferry boat rides and cruises. They are also great places for a spot of retail therapy. Both are attractive and vibrant towns, you will love wandering through the streets discovering the many cafes, galleries, independent shops, pubs and restaurants.
If you are looking for great food closer to home, Slapton boasts two dog-friendly pubs, whilst the pretty village of Strete is home to the popular The Laughing Monk restaurant.
There are also plenty of historic houses in stunning locations. Don’t miss Agatha Christie’s Greenway - catch the ferry or the steam train to reach it. Coleton Fishacre is an elegant Arts & Crafts home with Art Deco interiors. Walk through the stunning garden down to Pudcombe Cove.
Further inland you have the wild beauty of Dartmoor to discover - picnic on tors, paddle in moorland streams, discover ancient stone circles and the remains of deserted medieval villages.
Crownwheel Cottage - A riverside converted barn with some ground floor sleeping accommodation. (sleeps up to 8)
- Open plan kitchen/dining / sitting room. Sitting area with wood burner
- 2 downstairs bedrooms: 1 double, 1 bunk room
- Downstairs bathroom with bath and shower over & WC.
- Separate WC.
- Upstairs twin bedroom
- Upstairs bathroom with bath, shower over & WC.
- Riverside fenced patio with BBQ. Lawned garden and riverside walks through woods.
Quack Cottage - ‘picture-perfect’ wisteria clad cottage. (sleeps up to 4)
- Open-plan living/dining room with exposed beams and wood burning stove
- Modern kitchen with fridge,freezer, electric oven and hob, washing machine, kettle, toaster and microwave.
- 3 bedrooms: 1 double bedroom, x2 singles (one downstairs)
- Bathroom with bath and shower over.
- Private south facing riverbank garden with picnic bench and deckchairs
Barleycorn Cottage - cosy beamed cottage (sleeps up to 4)
- Open plan kitchen/sitting room/ diner - the old granary grindstone is still in the kitchen floor! Woodburner in sitting room area.
- 2 bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin (with room for z bed)
- Modern bathroom
- Fully-fenced garden
Rose Cottage - sunny south-facing cottage (sleeps up to 4).
- Living room with wood burner
- Large kitchen with dining table and chairs, electric cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster, fridge-freezer and its own washing machine.
- 2 Bedrooms: one double, one twin, both with en-suite
- Decking area with valley views and picnic bench and BBQ..
- Lawned garden
Mill Cottage - former granary with valley views. ‘Upside down’ style accommodation. (sleeps up to 6)
- Open plan sitting room/kitchen/diner with wood burner. Kitchen has electric double oven, large fridge-freezer, microwave, toaster, kettle and its own washing machine.
- 3 bedrooms: 1 double, 1 twin, 1 bunk (2ft 6 inches)
- Bathroom with corner bath and shower over, & WC..
- Situated next to the brook. Pationwith potted flower and herbs.
The owners are passionate about living sustainably and sustainable tourism. 100% of the electricity used at Watermill Cottages is from renewable resources. The Gara Brook that runs through the gardens feeds into the Slapton Ley Nature Reserve and the owners are acutely aware of the need for careful land management to protect this precious habitat. Read more about their green credentials on the owners’ website.
Fabulous ‘get away from it all’ location’ - 5 lovely cottages sleeping 4-8 in the beautiful secluded Gara Valley in the South Hams aonb. Surrounded by woods & wildflower meadows. Woodland walks and waterfalls. Devon’s stunning coast within easy reach - Slapton beach 3 miles, Dartmouth 8.5 miles.